- Changing the surname of the spouses after divorce in Ukraine
- Change of surname in Ukraine
- Surname after marriage in Ukraine
- Surname after divorce in Ukraine
- Change of surname to maiden or premarital in case of divorce in Ukraine
- Documents for changing the surname upon divorce in Ukraine
- Lawyer services when changing a surname in Ukraine
- Family lawyer for cases of changing the name of spouses after divorce in Ukraine
- Frequently Asked Questions to a Family Lawyer in Ukraine
Changing the surname of the spouses after divorce in Ukraine
On our website advokat-skriabin.com you can familiarize yourself with the topic: “Changing the surname of spouses after a divorce” and, if you have any questions, seek legal advice from our family lawyers and lawyers who will provide you with legal services in family matters.
Change of surname in Ukraine
Each person is given a surname at birth, and he does not choose it himself. However, in the future, according to the law, the surname can be changed. This often happens during marriage and divorce.
Surname after marriage in Ukraine
As you know, when registering a marriage, it is customary to change the surname. In most cases, a change of surname occurs precisely in women, since it is assumed that the child who will be born in marriage is the continuer of the masculine gender, and therefore the surname, as an indicator of the genus, should be given to the child by a man, and, consequently, the mother should take her husband’s surname instead of her maiden name.
However, there are different options:
- a woman changes her maiden name to her husband’s;
- the surname is changed to a double one (maiden name and the husband’s surname, separated by a hyphen);
- the husband takes his wife’s maiden name.
At the same time, to change the surname or not, and to which one, depends solely on the person himself. According to the law, a husband has no right to insist on changing his wife’s maiden name, just as a wife has no right to insist on her husband adopting his maiden name.
Surname after divorce in Ukraine
The basis for changing the surname during marriage is an application that is submitted together with an application for registration of marriage to the registry office.
Upon divorce, the change of surname to maiden or premarital does not occur naturally, that is, automatically. To do this, it is necessary to express to the authorities about the desire to change the surname after a divorce to a maiden or premarital name.
As in the case of marriage, so in the case of divorce, the basis for changing the surname is a statement. It must be submitted to the registry office in case of divorce through the registry office and to the court in case of divorce in court.
It is important to note that after a divorce, a husband cannot force his spouse to return his maiden or premarital surname. Each of the spouses has the right to decide on a change of surname only in relation to himself.
Change of surname to maiden or premarital in case of divorce in Ukraine
After deciding on the divorce, the spouse needs to decide whether she wants to return her maiden or premarital surname, or it would be better to leave her husband’s surname. It is important to know that changing the surname to a maiden name is not possible in all cases. According to the law, only a premarital surname can be returned, which is often no longer a maiden name.
That is, if a woman after the first marriage took her husband’s surname, then upon divorce she can regain her maiden name. However, if this was not the first marriage with the change of the surname to the husband’s surname, then the maiden name cannot be returned during the divorce process. This is due to the fact that only a premarital surname can be returned after a divorce.
According to the legislation of Ukraine, upon dissolution of a marriage, the change of the spouses’ surname to the premarital name is made solely at their own request. An exception is cases with incapacitated people, whose guardians also have the right to decide on a change of surname.
Documents for changing the surname upon divorce in Ukraine
In order to change your surname to a maiden or premarital name, you will need the following documents:
- a written statement indicating which surname the husband / wife wants to leave after the divorce;
- relevant documents, as an operative part of the court decision on divorce, as well as an identity document;
- receipt of payment of state duty.
If a divorce is made in court by filing a statement of claim or a joint statement, then, among other requirements, the desire to change the surname is also indicated. Thus, after considering the divorce case, the court representatives decide to change the spouse’s surname only if this wish was expressed in writing.
In the event that at the time of the consideration of the divorce case, the wishes regarding the change of the surname were not stipulated, it is possible to change the surname to a maiden or premarital name after the divorce by re-applying to the court with a corresponding statement.
Lawyer services when changing a surname in Ukraine
Despite the fact that changing the surname is not difficult in its procedure, nevertheless, in practice, spouses often face problems. With the help of a family lawyer, you can:
- correctly draw up an application for changing the surname to a maiden or premarital name in case of divorce;
- legally competent to challenge the refusal of the registry office to change the name;
- get comprehensive information about the documents that need to be reissued after changing the name and recommendations on the reissuance itself.
Family lawyer for cases of changing the name of spouses after divorce in Ukraine
For an effective solution to the case of changing the name of spouses after a divorce, you should contact professional family lawyers.
- provide legal advice on family matters;
- will help to determine the best option for solving a family case;
- prepare all the necessary documents;
- will provide legal support for the entire trial.
Our family lawyers will do everything necessary for a quick and high-quality completion of a legal case!
If you do not know how to do the right thing to decide the case in your favor – write or call our family lawyers!
The first step on the road to success in resolving a case on changing the name of spouses after a divorce is to contact good family lawyers!
If the article “Changing the surname of spouses after a divorce” was useful for you, please like it. We will provide you with the most relevant and useful information in the field of family law, as well as inform you about new changes in the legislation of Ukraine regarding the change in the surname of spouses after a divorce.
Frequently Asked Questions to a Family Lawyer in Ukraine
Useful site materials advokat-skriabin.com:
- The procedure for divorce in the registry office
- Divorce through court with children and without
- Court decision on divorce
- Divorce certificate
- Terms of divorce through the court and through the registry office
- The cost of services in case of divorce through the court and the registry office
- State fee for divorce – court fee
- Divorce abroad with and without children
- Divorce from a foreign citizen in Ukraine
name change after divorce 2021
leave your surname after divorce
divorce suit and change of surname
change of the child’s surname after divorce
is it possible to change the surname a year after the marriage
a statement of claim for divorce to leave a surname
change of surname upon divorce in court
is it worth changing your surname after a divorce
surname upon marriage
is it possible to change the last name a year after the divorce
return maiden name after divorce
Is it possible to leave the husband’s surname after a divorce
change of surname after divorce
if you don’t change your surname after a divorce
Checked by Victoria on 23.06.21
surname 60 6.73
divorce 31 3.48
girlish 18 2.02
shift 17 1.91
change of surname 16 1.80 / 3.59
change 15 1.68
surname changes 14 1.57 / 3.14
family 14 1.57
maiden name 13 1.46 / 2.92
spouse 12 1.35
lawyer 11 1.23
premarital 11 1.23
husband 11 1.23
surnames of spouses 11 1.23 / 2.47
change of surname of spouses 9 1.01 / 3.03
solution 9 1.01
family lawyers 8 0.90 / 1.80
spouses of divorce 8 0.90 / 1.80
surnames of the spouses of divorce 8 0.90 / 2.69
marriage 7 0.79
maiden premarital 7 0.79 / 1.57
statement 7 0.79
change of surname of spouses of divorce 7 0.79 / 3.14
return 6 0.67
document 6 0.67
case 6 0.67
premarital maiden surname 6 0.67 / 2.02
husband’s surname 6 0.67 / 1.35
maiden name change 5 0.56 / 1.68
divorce name 5 0.56 / 1.12
legal 5 0.56
be 5 0.56
Checked by Victoria on 05/18/21